Single service reviews
The financial outlook for local government suggests that Councils through-out the country will be faced with their greatest funding challenge for a generation. They are under pressure to deliver services with a real term reduction in revenue spending and greater reduction in capital funding. It is imperative that local authorities explore new ways to save money, generate income, maximise productivity and of course continue to deliver excellent frontline local government services.
APSE will start by undertaking a baseline assessment of current performance against current objectives. The consultants will report back on their initial ideas through a workshop for key stakeholders. This part of the project will challenge internal perceptions of the services but will also help to ensure that the subsequent stages of the review are based on an accurate assessment of current performance and future expectations.
The review may also utilise the experience and expertise developed by APSE through the UK’s most extensive local government benchmarking project, Performance Networks. All our consultants are experienced in interpreting the data and using it to quickly identify possible areas for improvement. Dependent upon existing benchmarking arrangements we can construct a bespoke comparator group to assist with bespoken analysis.
APSE can also offer support in drawing together the recommendations into a service improvement plan for the authority, as well as assisting with implementation and re-design.
Over the years APSE has carried out hundreds of local authority service reviews across a range of service areas. APSE understands the value of public services, because of its background in direct service delivery, it also understands the need for operational efficiency. APSE’s experienced team of local government practitioners understand the multiple and sometimes conflicting needs and interests that must be accounted for when reviewing a service. All APSE consultants have firsthand experience of service delivery and are well known and respected within their fields.
More information on the skills of our associates can be found by clicking here.
To find out more information and please contact a member of APSE’s consultancy team to discuss your requirements either in person or over the telephone. We will then put together a detailed proposal for your consideration.
- 'SCOTTISH SPENDING REVIEW 2012/15 AND BUDGET 2012/13' Briefing 11/56 September 2011
- 'Scotland’s Public Finances – Addressing the Challenges' Briefing 11/49 September 2011
- ‘Workforce and Staff Absence: Maximising Efficiency’ Briefing 10/58, October 2010
- ‘Workforce and Productivity: Maximising Efficiency’ Briefing 10/57, October 2010
- ‘APSE’s Competitiveness Continuum and Efficiency’ Briefing 10/55, October 2010
- ‘Efficiency Gains Through More Effective Approaches to Public Procurement’ Briefing 10/41, August 2010
- ‘Efficiencies in Catering’ Briefing 10/37, July 2010
- ‘Efficiencies in Building Cleaning’ Briefing 10/36, July 2010
- ‘Improving Public Sector Efficiency – Good Practice Checklist’ Briefing 10/34, July 2010
Advisory groups are quarterly meeting free to all APSE members. Suggested groups relevant to this topic are:
- Service delivery models
- Service transformation and performance management
For further information and the date of the next group please click here
- ‘More Bang for the Public Buck: A Guide to using Procurement to Achieve Community Benefits’ APSE & CLES February 2010
Training courses are available on a variety of topics including
- Developing and Efficiencies and Public Partnerships
For further information and the date of forthcoming courses please click here.
For further information on consultancy services, please contact:
- Andy Mudd, Principal Consultant
- Gayle Gibson, Senior Consultant
- Davina Rai, Client Co-ordination Officer
Or telephone APSE on 0161 772 1810 for an informal discussion on how we can help you or about any of the other services APSE provides.
Our other offers
For information about other APSE consultancy offers, please use the links below.