The latest network queries circulated for this service are listed below.
If you would like more information about any of these queries or want to submit a response, please email Rob Bailey.
BC0121 - CCTV / Alarm / Security service for council tenants – 141215
This Authority has recently developed a Category 1 Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC). From the ARC, the Authority delivers a CCTV, door entrance and ‘remote’ concierge service to residents of the Council’s own Housing stock in the first instance as a security and community safety initiative.
The Authority has ambitious business development targets to offer these existing services as well as developing new Lone Working, Key Holding, Intruder Alarm, Environmental Alarm, First responses services to a wide range of internal (schools, operational departments) and external (private customers, RSL, Police, etc.).
They would like to hear from other authorities regarding the following:-
• how they have developed income streams around these services detailing the specific service types, including any packages
• copies of any SLAs that are in place
• charging and pricing strategies for providing these services, either individually or as part of a package
• information on the best way to identify business leads for the service including payment models
• any advice about setting up and development of the wider service
BC0120 - 2-day cleaning detail / specifications within non-school buildings - 081215
This member authority has been tasked to look at 2-day cleaning within non-school buildings as a budget saving option.
If you could provide any detail (and if possible a copy of your specification) on 2-day cleaning within your authority, this would be greatly appreciated.
BC0119 - Client Liaison and satisfaction - 301115
A member authority is reviewing the way it liaises with clients and determines customer satisfaction
They are interested to know:
BC0118 - Calculating budget for consumables in bus stations - 041115
This local authority would like to hear from other member authorities in terms of how they calculate their budget for consumables (hand soap, hand towels and toilet rolls etc) in bus stations?
Any information you are able to provide would be very much appreciated, and will be shared with all who respond.
BC0117 - Crisps that conform with the nutrition act and Food for Life standards - 271015
This member authority is looking to find alternative crisp products to Walkers Lite crisps that conform with the nutrition act (Nutritional Standards 2007) and Food for Life standards (i.e. without monosodium glutamate). If you could also provide the range of flavours they are available in, this would be helpful.
BC0116 - Combined Staffing Structures - 201015
A member authority is seeking to bring together catering and cleaning within a combined management structure
They would be interested in examples from other authorities of the management and staffing structures adopted.
Please forward copies of your structure.
BC0115 - Asset Management of Cleaning Equipment - 201015
An APSE member local authority is currently looking at different ways of managing their electrical cleaning equipment assets (such as vacuum cleaners, scrubbing machines etc). They would be grateful for information on the following:
What systems do other authorities use in the way of monitoring and recording of:
• Machine type
• Serial number
• Repair history
Do any authorities use:
• GPS locators - if so what make & model is used and cost associated to purchasing?
• RFID identity tags – what are the pros and cons of using this system?
• PDA remote device for repair operative use – what are the benefits of using this system?
• Do any authorities have a ‘complete package’ they may have purchased and if so, what is it and how cost effective have you found it to be?
BC0114 - Window Cleaning Service - 021015
A member authority is looking at the viability of starting a Window Cleaning Service for Schools and Council Offices using a Pole System
They would like to hear from others who operate of buy in such a service
· How is it priced - per hour or per window?
· Are there any pitfall to be aware of?
· What is the current cost (or what do you currently pay)?
BC0113 - Cleaning Supplies - 290915
A member authority is reviewing their chemical & equipment ordering procedures and seeking the following information:
• How do cleaning staff request cleaning materials (this includes chemicals and equipment (machine floor tools and bags))?
• If cleaning staff do not order materials, who would be responsible for this?
• How are materials distributed, i.e. from a central store or from a supplier direct to site?
• How often are materials requested, i.e. regularly (monthly, 2-monthly etc) or as and when needed?
• Is material usage monitored and if so, how is this done?
BC0112 - Cleaning equipment maintenance services - 240915
A member authority currently uses three different suppliers for their vacuum and polishing machine repairs
1 for repairs, 1 for PAT Testing and 1 for moving and scrapping
They are currently considering either:
· employing our own technician to do all 3 jobs or;
· hiring machinery in favour of buying it out right.
What provision do you have for maintaining your cleaning machines for these services?
BC0111 - PVG / DBS Checks on Cleaners - 170915
School cleaning hours are largely outwith school times with cleaners having very little, if any, contact with children.
A member authority continues to carry out a PVG (Enhanced DBS) checks on all cleaners but is experiencing long delays in the process.
• Does your local authority continue to carry out PVG checks on school cleaners?
• If not can you confirm how you have justified this?
• If you continue to carry out the PVG check, can you share any suggestions/ processes that you use to ensure the procedure is carried out as quick as possible.
BC0110 - Building Cleaning Productivity and Quality Measurement - 310815
A member authority is reviewing their building cleaning activities for schools and public buildings
· How do you measuring the productivity of your in-house cleaning services
· Do you use technology to calculate and programme your cleaning activities
· Do you use the same system to measure quality and performance?
BC0109 - Building Cleaning Management software - 260815
A member authority is keen to secure a software system to manage their building cleaning operations
What software do you use to cover the following:
· Overtime calculations
· Allocation of work
· General staffing information.
BC0108 - Cleaning of Brass - 210815
A member authority is keen to find a more efficient and less time consuming method for cleaning brass in their town hall
Please can you supply your best way to cleaning brass
Including information on:
· Cloths used
· Cleaning agent used
· Any preventative measures used
BC0107 - Housing Void Cleaning - HBM0316, 180815
The Cleaning Service of a member authority is seeking to bid of that Authority’s Housing Void work
They would like information on the following:
1. Any specifications or SLA’s for void cleaning
2. Approximate time taken and cost for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 bedroom properties
3. How the properties are priced
4. The method of operation
5. The vehicles and equipment used
6. Staffing structure - full time, part time, casuals etc.
BC0106 - Cleaning Support Packages - 220515
Some Schools and Academies are employing cleaning staff directly, but buying management support packages from the local authority cleaning service
This may include:
· COSHE & Health & Safety
· Staff cover
· Caretaking cover
· Other services
If you currently supply similar services as a support package to schools, please can you share:
· Services included
· Copy of typical SLA/contract
BC0105 - Formula for allocating janitorial hours to primary and secondary schools – 090415
This local authority would like to ask others:
What is your formula for allocating janitorial hours to primary and secondary schools?
BC0104 - Legionella – 010415
A member authority is reviewing its procedures in relation to Legionella
Please can you share your procedures for the following:
Safe system of work regarding legionella:
· on the return to work of cleaning staff after school closures
· when undertaking cleaning of void/vacant properties.
BC0103 - Cleaning Products – 270315
A member authority is reviewing its cleaning product usage
Please could you give details of the cleaning products / suppliers you utilise across your Authority
· Multi-Purpose Cleaner
· Toilet Cleaner/Descaler
· Floor Maintainer